Anyone that knows me is aware that I don’t want to waste a lot of time thinking about what I am going to make for dinner or to spend a lot of time cooking it either. I want a meal that I can throw in the oven or on the grill and forget about it until it’s done. So when my friend called to say she was going on a low-carb diet but wanted to find a fast and tasty pizza alternative I knew I had the recipe for her.
Portobello Mushrooms are the full grown versions of Crimini or Baby Bella. Both do your body some serious good! Which is why I have like 50 different recipes for stuffing these large mushrooms.
If you haven’t tried them yet here are a few reasons to get on the bandwagon. First, they have such a great meaty textures. Secondly, you can throw them in the oven, on the grill, or on the stove. Third, they are so damn tasty and nutritious! Portobello Mushrooms are also fat-free and very low in calories & Carbs. They’re also a vitamins and minerals including selenium, copper and niacin. Your body needs copper to form connective tissue, metabolize iron, and to produce energy and antioxidants. Selenium has two primary jobs to fill: It helps produce thyroid hormones and antioxidants. It also supports your health by regulating your immune system and inflammation.
The recipe takes literally 3-5 minutes of prep time. Then you throw this puppy into the oven on 350-400 until the Mushroom and veggies are soft. This is usually 35-35 minutes for me. And Voila a simple, nutritious and delicious dinner is served!
PORTOBELLO PIZZA (FOR TWO)
2 LARGE PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS
½ C RED OR WHITE ONION
4-5 ASPARAGUS SPEARS
2 CLOVES OF GARLIC
1-2 C CHOPPED SPINACH
1 ROMA TOMATO
1/4 C TURKEY PEPPERONI (OPTIONAL)
2 TB PARMESAN CHEESE (OR DESIRED CHEESE)
3TB NO CANS ALLOWED SAUCE (SEE BLOG) OR REGULAR PIZZA/RED SAUCE
1TB GARLIC POWDER
1 TB ITALIAN SEASONING
1TB RED PEPPER FLAKES (OPTIONAL)
- SAUCE: CHOP UP ALL THE VEGETABLES TO THE DESIRED TEXTURE. I LIKE MINE COURSELY CHOPPED.
- ADD THE RED SAUCE AND SEASONINGS
- WASH MUSHROOM AND TAKE OUT THE STEM
- LINE A BAKING SHEET WITH FOIL
- PLACE MUSHROOMS IN THE CENTER. ADD THE VEGETABLE/SAUCE MIXTURE EVENLY ONTO THE TWO MUSHROOMS. ADD CHEESE AND PEPPERONI.
- TENT THE FOIL OVER THE TOP OF THE MUSHROOMS TO MAKE THEM COOK FASTER.
- PLACE IN THE PRE-HEATED OVEN FOR 30-40 MINUTES. TAKE OUT WHEN THE MUSHROOM AND VEGGIES ARE SOFT.
OTHER FLAVOR OPTIONS — THIS RECIPE CAN WORK FOR ANY OF YOUR FAVORITE PIZZA TOPPINGS BUT, HERE ARE A FEW EXTRAS YOU MIGHT WANT TO TRY.
- Artichoke and Gruyere. Rinse, drain and thinly slice canned, water-packed artichokes. You can use Red, White, or Pesto sauce with this one. Cover the top of the “pizza” with grated Gruyère cheese, thinly sliced garlic, a drizzle of olive oil and panko breadcrumbs.
- Summer Squash Pizza. Grill slices of zucchini and yellow squash with grilled onion, Parmesan and fresh oregano.
- Lamb Pizza. Ground lamb, pine nuts, coriander, cumin and tomato and finish with a layer of feta or yogurt.
- Garlicky Anchovy and Spinach Pizza Chop anchovies and toss them with fresh spinach and garlic. Sprinkle with Parmesan and top with the anchovy mixture.
PORTOBELLO MUSHROOMS should really be a staple in your diet, especially for women. They have immune supporting properties, help to balance estrogen levels, and contain the hard to find B12 vitamin. Also rich in selenium, copper, B3, B2, B5, B5, B1, potassium, phosphorus, zinc, manganese, protein, folate, fiber, magnesium, iron, and calcium.
ONIONS & GARLIC: are rich in sulfur and contain chromium, Vitamin C, dietary fiber, manganese, molybdenum, Vitamin B6, tryptophan, folate, quercetin, potassium, phosphorus, phyto-nutrients, and copper. And, we all have heard how great sulfur-rich garlic is for our cardiovascular health but, it also has Anti-inflammatory, Anti-bacterial, Anti-viral properties and helps with iron metabolism.
MOLYBDENUM: Never heard of this mineral? You’re not alone. Molybdenum is an essential nutrient that is rarely spoken about but, extremely vital to many biochemical process. Do you like breathing? Well molybdenum is essential for cellular respiration and utilizing oxygen. It’s vital to DNA and RNA reproduction, iron metabolism, uric acid excretion, and sexual health in men. It also helps prevent cavities, helps metabolize fat and carbs, and helps prevent certain cancers, and is a cofactor for many enzymes in the body.
ASPARAGUS: lean mean green. They can be tossed into just about anything: pasta, rice, great with fish, or Lamb. Roast them, steam them, do whatever you can dream with them. Plus it gives you vitamin K, folate, Vit C, Vit A, Tryptophan, B1, B2, B6, B3, Manganese, copper, phosphorus, protein, potassium, iron, zinc, magnesium, selenium, fiber, calcium. 1 cup is only 43 calories!